Ira Bea, the Beauty Queen

Ira Bea, the Beauty Queen
Ira Bea, 2 days old

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 4: May 18th



Lucy 4 days old
The chicks have grown up almost overnight and are now starting to develop longer necks and their wings are almost entirely feathered. They are starting to enjoy us petting them and Scallop even fell asleep in my hand while Brandon stroked her head gently from side to side. I am still a little bit nervous holding them since they are so fragile, but Brandon is wonderful at helping make sure they are secure and that I am doing a good job not freaking out. 
Scallop with her almost fully feathered wing!


The chicks' appetites have increased pretty steadily and I obtained a cut on my finger while attempting to clean their galvanized food dish. Ouch! I didn't realize the edges were so sharp, but nothing to fear, it's healing just fine. Brandon says that there may be plastic feeders in their near future. 




 The chicks also got their first handful of greens to start pecking at and apparently they liked it a lot. They wouldn't eat if from my hand, but I placed the greens in the brooder box and left the room and the greens are almost completely gone. We will be feeding them fresh greens and meal worms occasionally as treats.





No comments:

Post a Comment