Ira Bea, the Beauty Queen

Ira Bea, the Beauty Queen
Ira Bea, 2 days old

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 6- May 20th


Today the peepers got an infrared light! We had a 125 watt white brooder light previously and we felt like it stressed the chicks out a bit. Once or twice I would see the chicks peck each other. Since the chicks are needing less heat, we purchased a 100 watt infrared heat bulb. The chicks are so much calmer! 

The little chicks also got a great new treat this morning, fresh meal worms! It was one of the funniest things we have seen them do so far. One chick would run up to the dish of meal worms, pick one up and run all over the brooder box while trying to avoid the beaks of the other chicks, or in some cases, their own shadows. We took a video (sorry for all of the commentary!) and it's looking a little grainy on our end, so hopefully it plays alright on your end!

As promised, here are the photos of the new tail feathers!
Look at those little feathers!


Lucy refuses to go with the crowd


Coq au Vanessa is getting her blue feet in!


Lucy practicing her yoga pose!



2 comments:

  1. They certainly are hyper in that second video, haha!

    I've tried to tell my hubby that I've read of chicks pecking each other with a white heat lamp, but he doesn't believe me.
    I think I'll get a red light just in case. ;o)

    Love watching your chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda-

    I didn't believe all the hype about the red/white light before I actually saw it for myself. They will be fine with the white light for a few days, but as they grow up and establish pecking order, they do start to peck. I also noticed it calmed them down a lot and increased their appetites. You can get them really cheap if you have a tractor supply store near you for about $4.00 or you can buy one at your local Petco/Petsmart store in the reptile section for approx. $13.

    Just wait until you get your chicks and feed them meal worms for the first time.... they always do the same thing. They get a mealworm and run around showing it off while the other chickens chase them. It is such a funny thing to watch!

    ReplyDelete